Friday Fast Facts

From Matt Sisneros of the CU Independent:











Cover of the CU/Michigan program – September 24, 1994 – courtesy of CU at the Gamer Rob S. (Wolverine running back Tyrone Wheatley on the cover. It just so happens that Wheatley is presently the running backs coach for Michigan):












Getting to Know … Michigan

If you weren’t aware that Michigan is the all-time leader in victories in college football history, just ask a Michigan alumnus. They are usually pretty quick at citing the following:

— All-time victories: 1. Michigan – 927; 2. Notre Dame – 893; 3. Texas – 887; 4. Nebraska – 882; 5. Ohio State – 876 … 25. Colorado – 687

— All-time winning percentage: 1. Notre Dame – .732; 2. Michigan – .731; 3. Boise State – .724; 4. Ohio State – .723; 5. Oklahoma – .717 … 38. Colorado – .581

— Michigan is the sixth-oldest college football program, dating back to 1879 (only Rutgers and four Ivy League schools have played football more seasons). The Wolverines have won 42 Big Ten championships (Ohio State has 35), have laid claim to 11 national championships (last in 1997); and have posted 23 undefeated seasons (three – 1973, 1992, and 1997 – since 1950)

— Michigan is 49-26-1 all-time against the Pac-12. The Wolverines are undefeated against Arizona (2-0); Oregon State (5-0); and Washington State (4-0). The only team in the conference Michigan has failed to defeat is Arizona State (0-1).


Colorado and Michigan

— Colorado and Michigan have played four times previously, with the Wolverines holding a 3-1 advantage. Since the Buffs’ 1994 “Miracle in Michigan“, the Wolverines have won the last two games, including a 20-13 win in Michigan’s only trip to Boulder in 1996 (with ESPN’s GameDay crew in town for the game) and a 27-3 win in 1997 (sorry, Brad).

— This game is a “one-off” or a “play-for-pay” game, with no return trip to Boulder on the calendar. The Buffs will take home a payday of $1.4 million for agreeing to be the visitor (the contract was signed in 2013, so this was a Mike Bohn deal, not a Rick George deal);

— The two games in Ann Arbor represent the two largest crowds to ever witness a Colorado football game. The 1994 crowd was 106,427, exceeded slightly three years later with a crowd of 106,474 (in only two other games have the Buffs played before crowds of over 100,000 … against Ohio State in 2011 and against Texas in 2009). With Michigan hosting crowds of 110,000 and 109,000 for the Hawai’i and Central Florida, there is every reason to believe that the 2016 CU/Michigan game will become the largest crowd to ever witness a Colorado football game;

— 30 … The number of statistical categories in which Colorado and Michigan rank in the top 20 nationally (Colorado 17; Michigan 13)

— Colorado has a losing record against only four schools in the Big Ten (counting the newest addition, Nebraska). In addition to CU’s 1-3 record against Michigan, the Buffs are 1-4 v. Ohio State and 0-3 against Michigan State. The Buffs have winning records against Minnesota (3-0); Iowa (2-0); Wisconsin (4-1-1); and Indiana (3-1). Colorado is 1-1 all-time against Illinois, Northwestern, and Penn State.


Insert to the 1994 Michigan/Colorado program:












Weather Report

— The weather forecast for the game has a high of 79-degrees with a considerable chance of rain during the contest. At present, the forecast calls for about a 40% chance of rain at kickoff, rising to about a 60% chance in the second half;

— Arguments can be made pro and con as to whether the weather will impact the game positively or negatively for the Buffs. On the negative side, there is the argument that Michigan has a better rushing attack than does Colorado, and is better suited for a smash-mouth game in the rain … I would lean towards bad weather having a positive impact, however, if for no other reason than it might keep the attendance down (or at least mute the volume of those who do attend). Plus, if the teams are forced more to the ground due to an inability to pass as readily, it will speed up (read: shorten) the game – fewer plays favors the underdog.

— One other thought, weather-wise … This is a huge game for the Buffs, while it is just another speed bump for the Wolverines on their way to facing “real” competition. For comparison’s sake, let’s say the Buffs were facing Kansas at home this weekend, with Oregon up next on the schedule. How much attention would we be paying to the Jayhawks? Perhaps the chance at inclement weather will help aid the “disinterested” factor for the Wolverine fans and players.


Injury report

The Colorado injury report has become almost as fictional as the Colorado depth chart (in case you missed it, here is the “depth chart” for the Michigan game, a not-so-silent protest against Michigan’s refusal to issue a depth chart).

— Colorado is, for the third straight week, listing the same five players on its injury report. Out for the season are: linebacker Trent Headley; wide receiver Juwann Winfree; and defensive back Jaisen Sanchez. Still listed as “Out/Indefinitely” are wide receiver Jaleel Awini and offensive tackle Isaac Miller.

The Detroit Free Press seems to think it has a better handle on the injury report. In addition to the five players listed, above, they show running back Michael Adkins and safety Tedric Thompson as “questionable” for Saturday’s game.

— While not disclosed until after the game, center Alex Kelley and linebacker Derek McCartney were held out of the Idaho State game. Both are expected to be available for the Michigan game;

— Other players who were not listed on the injury report for the Idaho State game, but who were listed as injured after the fact: offensive lineman John Lisella; wide receiver Lee Walker; and offensive lineman Hunter Vaughn.


Pac-12 Notes

— No. 7 Stanford and USC kick off Pac-12 conference play this weekend, while the other ten teams in the league continue on with non-conference play (both Stanford and USC will play their third non-conference games against Notre Dame later in the season);

— All six of the Pac-12 South schools won their games last weekend, with the Pac-12 North going 2-2 (with losses by Cal and Washington State);

— Washington, in at No. 8 in the polls this week, became the eighth different Pac-12 school to be ranked in the AP Top Ten over the last three seasons. The ranking is the highest for the Huskies since 2000;

— Colorado is 11th in the nation in scoring, at 50.0 ppg., but is only third in the Pac-12, behind Arizona State (56.0 ppg.) and Washington (53.5 ppg.);


Fun with Numbers (just because we haven’t had the chance to do this in a long time):

— Colorado leads the Pac-12 (and the nation) in total defense, giving up just 160.5 yards per game;

— The Buffs also lead the Pac-12 in the following categories: Scoring defense (7.0 ppg.); pass defense (62.0 ypg.); pass efficiency defense (55.3); sacks against (0.50 per game); third-down conversion percentage (63.9%); and third-down conversion defense percentage (23.3%);

— In addition, Colorado is in the top three in the Pac-12 conference in these categories: Scoring offense (50.0 ppg.); total offense (587.5 ypg.); rushing offense (261.0 ypg.); rushing defense (98.5 ypg.); passing offense (326.5 ypg.); pass efficiency (181.8); interceptions (3); PAT kicking (13-for-13); first downs (30.0 per game); opponents first downs (9.5 per game); penalty yardage (36.0 ypg.); and time of possession (35:36)


A few shots from the inside of the CU/Michigan program:

























One Reply to “Friday Fast Facts”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *